This being my first post this year, wishing all my readers a healthy and blessed New Year!
I've been away from blogging for a couple of months now. But rest assured I've been busy. The last year I have been pursuing an old passion of mine very keenly- Organic Gardening. Happy to report I've been quite successful in nuturing a cozy herb collection and a few veggies as well. It has been a great learning experience I will be posting pictures soon.
This month for the Secret Recipe Club I was assigned Julianne's blog Adventures of Kitchen Ninja. As I browsed through Julianne's blog I was delighted to find that she shares a passion for gardening as well! I spent a lot of time going through her recipes and I found it very difficult to settle with one. All of them seemed very inviting. Finally I decided to prepare Red Pepper Pumpkin Soup and I am really glad I did! It turned out to be such a delectable, nutritious and bright looking soup! The combination of red pepper, pumpkin and sweet potato gives a lovely blend of flavours along with the colour. I kept to the recipe, just added a wee bit of cilantro to give a tinge of green and a touch of fresh herbs.
Red Pepper Pumpkin Soup
3 cups cubed pumpkin
3 cups chopped red bell pepper
1 1/2 cups chopped sweet potato
1/2 cup sliced green onion/spring onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 garlic cloves
salt to taste
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
5-6 cups stock
1-2 tablespoon butter
Freshly chopped cilantro (coriander)
- Toss the first 8 ingredients on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and roast for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Place the roasted vegetables in a soup pot with the stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook till all the flavours are well combined.
- Remove from the heat, cool and puree in batches until smooth. At the last pulse add the freshly chopped cilantro.
- Stir in the butter and serve.
- Serve best with grilled cheese or green salad.