Monday, June 25, 2012

Homemade Wheat Thins


Its that time of the month to try a delightful recipe from the Secret Recipe Club .  This time I was assigned Asiya from Chocolate and Chillies . Asiya has such a lovely blog that I would try many more than the assigned one recipe. But I didnt browse much before I knew exactly what I was going to try.  Homemade Wheat Thins. Healthy, delicious and good for kids in the kitchen! We had fun preparing this, another matter that my kids feel they must eat them till they are all over. I modified it a wee bit for lack of ingredients.


Ingredients-
1 /4 cups whole wheat flour
1 /2 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4tbs unsalted cold butter
1/4 cup - 3tbs water, more as needed
1/4 tsp vanilla extract


Preparation-
  • Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt.
  • Cut in butter till mixture is crumbly
  • Mix water and vanilla to the flour mixture. If the mixture is not coming together add a bit of water being careful not to make the dough sticky.
  • Divide the dough into two pieces. On a lightly floured surface roll out half of the dough very thin. Using a cutter, cut into shapes. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet using a spatula and then sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining half of dough.
  • Bake for 8-10 minutes in a pre heated oven. Keep a close eye on them to ensure they don't burn. Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.

19 comments:

  1. wow nice tips to making wheat sweets & cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I love making homemade versions of store bought goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wheat thins! I just never thought about making them beore. I would have to put something spicy on them. Love spice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting recipe, I would have never thought to include vanilla.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Candied Popcorn.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you made them into different shapes! That could come in handy during the holidays :)

    Happy Reveal Day

    ReplyDelete
  6. how fun! + your smiley versions are too cute. =) fun pick for the SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great recipe! this sounds so easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never made homemade crackers before, but I have a few recipes. A must try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple & delicious! A perfect match with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been on the lookout for something baked that uses whole wheat. I'm glad you picked this recipe for this months SRC. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to try my hand at making homemade crackers. Thanks for showing me how easy it is. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. homemade crackers are always a good idea!

    happy src reveal, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love wheat thins! Not good that I know how to make them at home now though haha. Great choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love wheat thins and these look so good - simple and delicious - perfect!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wheat Thins = addiction. Must make! (Visiting you from SRC Group D.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin