Monday, July 30, 2012

Rosemary Fig Jam


Time for the Secret Recipe Club again. This month I was assigned  Heather's blog  Farmgirl Gourmet. I was simply delighted to go through Heather's blog since she believes in things I hold close to my heart,- homegrown, local, sustainable and delicious. It was really difficult to narrow down to one recipe, but I finally chose Rosemary Fig Jam. I really enjoyed preparing this jam and savoured the flavours even more.

Rosemary Fig Jam
(makes 3 1/2 pint jars)
Ingredients-
5cups figs, stemmed and cut into 1/2 inch dice
3/4 cup sugar
2/3cup port wine or Merlot
2 Rosemary sprigs
1 lemon zested
/4tsp kosher salt

Preparation-
  • In a medium saucepan add the diced figs and sugar. Allow to macerate for 20minutes. Add the wine, rosemary sprigs, lemon zest and salt and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the mixture becomes thick like jam. Discard the rosemary sprigs
  • Prepare canning jars and fill with the hot jam mixture. Place lids and bands on and process in a water bath for 15 minutes. Allow to cool on a kitchen towel and check for proper sealing.

16 comments:

  1. yum! I am definitely trying this! Fellow Group D SRC Member.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I'm so glad you enjoyed this jam. It is one of my favorites as well. Happy SRC Day!! :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jam looks great...perfect for a piece of toast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVELY recipe and Heather has some lovely ones to choose from too....GREAT SCR post! Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Group D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a fig tree which is bursting with fruit and rosemary bushes galore, I think this a perfect recipe to make very soon. Great SRC pick.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Double Chocolate Mousse Cake.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking at a lot of different jams that utilize herbs as well lately. Sounds like such a good mix. I bet it's amazing on English muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that jam looks incredible. I have never made jam and don't have much experience with figs, I think you have just motivated me to give both a try. I love being the newest member of SRC, it was just a bummer that I was orphan this month due to an error. Oh well, looking forward to all the post next month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah fig jam is one of my favorite things ever! This recipe sounds amazing. Will have to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo ... Yum yum ....
    Figs N Wine that feels like a combination to die for. I can almost taste the beauty mix of flavours. Gotta find myself some figs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, great flavors of this jam!! I just bought my first ever canner and am definitely bookmarking this one to make! Thanks for the great SRC post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness what an elegant jam. This sounds delicious and what a wonderful mixture of flavors. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. homegrown, local, sustainable & delicious are my middle names! ....that would make a very long name. haha..

    happy belated SRC reveal day darling! if you like, you are welcome to share your seasonal recipe at my Fresh Foods Blog Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a wonderful recipe! I just have made plum strawberry jam. Homemade jams are so delicious. Can imagine the amazing flavor of the fig jam. yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the combination and such a nice colour!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I'm visiting from SRC Group D. I've never made my own jam and the flavours here sound interesting. It looks delicious and I would love to try a bit :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin