Secret Recipe Club gets more exciting every time! This time I was assigned Melissa's blog Fried Ice and Donut holes. Going through Melissa's blog it doesn't take one long to realize how passionate she is about food. Each recipe is presented with finesse and is so detailed that one can hardly go wrong. I chose this recipe since I've been wanting to prepare ravioli since a long time and this one sounded so yum! I love the way the herbs are used in the filling and the sauce. It was a pleasure to pick up fresh herbs from my garden and use them in this lovely dish. I replaced white flour with wholewheat and finger millet to make it a healthier version. I didn't have ricotta as well, so I used cottage cheese for the filling. Apart from these changes I was true to the recipe.
Fresh Corn Ravioli with Herb Cream Sauce
For the Pasta Dough
1 3/4th whole wheat flour
finger millet(ragi) flour for dusting
1/2tbs water (more or less as needed)
- Sift the flour into a large pile on a flat surface. Make a fist-size well in the center and add the eggs, salt and water.
- With a fork gradually whisk the eggs to incorporate the flour. Add more water or flour(ragi) as needed until a firm dough is formed. Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth.
- Wrap with cling film and allow to rest for 30 minutes, before rolling out and cutting into desired shape.
For the filling-
2 cups corn kernels
2/3 cup paneer
2 tbs heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
1tbs fresh Basil chopped
1tbs fresh oregano chopped
- Place the corn kernels in the food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. In a bowl combine the corn, crumbled paneer, egg, cream, salt, pepper, and herbs until well blended.
- Divide the dough into quarters and roll out each into thin sheets with a rolling pin. Drop about 1tsp of filling into the center of each ravioli , spacing the centers about 2 inches apart.
- Moisten the edges with water and top with another sheet of pasta dough. Press to seal.
- Cut apart using a cutter and crimp the edges with a fork to thoroughly seal.
- The ravioli can be made up to a day ahead of time, arrange in a single layer and sprinkle with flour. Cover with cling film and refrigerate until ready to cook. Transfer to a zip lock bag after completely frozen.
To Cook Ravioli-
- Boil in water till al dente. Transfer with serving spoon to serving dishes. Reserve about 1/4 cup of pasta water.
For the sauce-
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup mixed herbs (parsley, oregano and basil)
- Heat the skillet over medium heat, add the wine and simmer until reduced slightly about 2 minutes.
- Add the cream and butter and simmer until thickened 3-5 minutes whisking constantly to prevent the cream from scorching. If needed add the reserved pasta water 1 spoon at a time till the sauce is the consistency of a thick cream. Stir in the chopped herbs and spoon over the ravioli. Top with grated cheese if desired.