Since chayotes are available in our markets the whole year through I felt I should explore more ways of including it in our diet. Having prepared Chayote Thoran I was keen to try a dessert version of this fruit. Halwa refers to many types of dense, sweet confections, across the Middle East, Central Asia, South Asia, the Balkans, and the Jewish world. In case you are still unfamiliar with chayote and its nutritional benefits click here.
Needless to add, my attempt was quite a hit at home and I was quite happy with the outcome.
Have you tried preparing Halwa? What is your favourite halwa? Do share.
Ingredients-2 chayotes grated
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups milk
2tsps ghee/clarified butter
2tsps evaporated milk/khoya
- Wash and grate the chayotes. Peel and crush the cardamom seeds in a pestle.
- In a heavy bottomed pan heat 1tsp ghee, add grated chayote and cook for 5 mins.
- Add milk, sugar (please adjust according to your levels of sweetness) and khoya. Stir and cook for around 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder, raisins, and crushed nuts. Make sure the milk has evaporated.
- Serve warm or chilled. Enjoy anyways!