Sunday, December 20, 2009

Star Anise Cookies- Christmas Guest Post


I have a very special guest this Christmas and its none other than Kristy from My Little Space. Though I've known Kristy for a short while I can tell you that she is a caring and genuine person. I am also begining to discover her sense of humour. The Kristy's pictures of her food will have you drooling. Take a look at her post Happy Holidays and you will know exactly what I mean. I've tried her Deep Fried Yam Stuffed Chicken and my family loved them. I have her Mooncakes made out of china grass/agar-agar on my wishlist. Do check out her blog and enjoy yourself as I do.

As we hang up our stars and enjoy Kristy's Star Anise cookies, let us not forget the true "Star" of the season. Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ-the 'star of Jacob' (A star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel- Num24:17). It is easy to get busy with the festivities and lose the real meaning of this joyful celebration. As the star shone that holy night over the babe and his family, let us take the time to be with our families this Christmas and let them know how much we love them.

STAR ANISE COOKIES

It's a great honour to be Shirley's guest today. Thank you very much for your invitation, Shirley. Since Christmas is just around the corner, nothing more fancy than cookies, candies and cakes for this festive season. So, enjoy! And have lots of fun....

Ingredients for dough :

  • 350gm all purpose flour
  • 1 tspn baking powder
  • 2 tspn ground star anise
  • 1 tspn ground cinnamon
  • 1 tspn ground allspice
  • 1/2 tspn salt
  • 250gm butter
  • 200gm sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tspn vanilla essence

Ingredients coffee icing :

  • 1 tspn instant coffee powder
  • 20ml warm milk
  • 120gm icing powder

Ingredients for chocolate icing :

50gm milk chocolate, chopped & melted

Method : -

Preheat oven 180'C.-


  • Combine flour, baking powder, all the spices & salt together in a big bowl.
  • Cream butter & sugar untill fluffy.
  • Add in eggs & vanilla and mix until combined.
  • Stir in flour mixtures and mix untill combined.
  • Divide into 2 portion & wrap in cling wrap (roll into log shape) and chill firm for about one hour.




  • Unwrap the dough and cut into 1/2cm thick slices.
  • Place onto baking tray and bake for 12 min or untill golden brown.
  • Transfer cookies to a wire rack for cooling.




To prepare coffee icing :

  • Whisk coffee powder & milk to dissolve.
  • Add icing sugar and mix well to form a pourable icing.
  • Then place both icing into separate pipping bags and decorate the cookies as desired.


Enjoy your cookies and have a blessed Christmas!

25 comments:

  1. Those cookies are so pretty and I love the flavor of star anise! Well done, Kristy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Kristy! Her mooncakes are one of many favourites. I have to master it and manage to make some next year. And yes I agree! She is a fantastic person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you about Kristy. She's such an amazing lady and friend. She's a regular visitor to my blog and always leaves interesting comments. I love her blog too....makes you drool and hungry. This is such a lovely cookie from her. Looks simple to make. I love the coffee icing...mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those pictures are huge! haha...Again thank you so much for your invitation and you've made it looks so gorgeous. Love it very much. Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cookies. I love anise. Kristy's blog is wonderful, and I too love her pictures. You two make a blogging dream team! Happy Christmas to both of you, and thanks for a wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like anise, so just reading the recipe has my mouth watering in anticipation.

    Merry Christmas to all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't agree with you more that Kristy is kind and friendly and she's got marvellous ideas, very innovative. Star anise cookies, must be yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristy, you have done it again ... bet these taste terrific with a big ol' glass of milk...good going girl...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and Delectable Cookies. I have'nt ever used Star Anise. Now these yummy treats give me a reason to try the star of this recipe..Thanks Shirley and Kristy for this wonderful recipe. I agree with you that we get so caught up in the preparation and shopping for Christmas many a times we forget the real meaning behind it. Merry Christmas to you and Kristy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These really look great, I especially like the coffee icings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My preschoolers would love them, they look so incredibly yummy! Gotta make some!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mouth started watering after seeing your cookies.Now I am craving for it.Lovely pictures New comer here .Do drop by http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg these look so good. I not sure if my children would like star annise. But that coffee icing I may be using that!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, the anise and coffee combo is to die for. Great job, Kristy! And thank you, Shirl, for reminding those of us who are under a lot of pressure to cook for our families that the season is chiefly about joy, giving, and sharing time with loved ones. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are wonderful! Looking forward to trying them during the winter break. happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the same comment as Kristy, the photos are huge but a good one. She's so talented with baking and glad she's sharing it to the whole world. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOw, gorgeous cookies, such a droolworthy pictures...

    Love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow...in love wit those gorgeous and yummylicious cookies....

    ReplyDelete
  19. a very flavorful cake ! to taste !

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a lovely post! do link in to our Xmas blog carnival at The Keybunch (http://www.thekeybunch.com/2010/12/december-carnival-christmas-decor-and.html)

    We would be delighted to have you join the party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. tried converting to us measurement lol... could you help by any chance? Thought I would ask. Oh pleaseee help me. Thanks for your time and god bless

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anon, I've asked Kristy the expert to help out. Lets wait for her reply.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for asking for the conversion. I think I may have figured it out. Fingers crossed , I will be making these for my family in the US and pray they turn out lol. I'll keep checking back to see how they compare to our friend Kristy's conversion. many blessings, From anon aka Karissa lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cheers Karissa! Fingers crossed for you too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin