They are absolutely unforgettable and have you asking for more.
I have used Indian mackerels, you can use any fleshy fish, preferably with less thorns to save you the trouble.
3 Indian mackerels
8-10 cloves of garlic
1 tsp ginger paste
1 green chilli
1/4 tsp ground red chilli
1/2 tsp garam masala
Juice of 1lemon
Fresh coriander chopped fine
Freshly ground pepper
Salt to taste
Bread crumbs/Rice flour
- Steam/pressure cook the fish. when cool enough to handle, separate the thorns from the flesh and flake.
- Boil potatoes, when cool enough to handle, peel and mash.
- Mince garlic, onion and green chilli.
- Heat oil in a skillet and saute the minced onion, garlic, chilli and ginger paste.
- Mix all the ingredients together and combine well.
- Here's what the mixture will look like. Taste and check for spice levels and salt and hint of sourness.
- Shape into cutlets and roll in breadcrumbs and press firmly.
- Heat oil in a skillet for frying and fry the cutlets on both sides till crisp.
- Serve hot with sauce.