Thursday, May 27, 2010

Black Trumpet Mushroom Sago Papadums


So to begin with I tried the dried wild black trumpet mushroom.



Papadums/papads need no introduction to anybody. Highly addictive at any age, across the globe. (Certainly not healthy if they are fried, but that's beside the point). The traditional papad is made of black gram lentil, however there are many versions and flavours. If you havent tasted the sago papads yet- they have a very 'melt in the mouth' texture, which means you better make plenty of it to go around. I make sago papads every summer, but this flavour was truly unique!

A big thank you to my niece Jovita and Justin from Marx Foods for this experience!

So here's the Black Trumpet Mushroom flavoured Sago Papadums for you-

Ingredients-
1/2 cup sago pearls
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup water
salt to taste
ground pepper
powdered black trumpet mushrooms

Preparation-
  • Soak the sago pearls in buttermilk and half glass water overnight.
  • Add half cup water and grind to a paste.
  • Add salt, pepper and powdered black trumpet mushrooms and cook the paste.
  • Now here's the tricky bit, to know when to take it off the fire. The paste should be neither too thick nor runny. Comes with practice
  • Spoon the mixture into circles onto a plastic sheet and sundry. When one side is done, they will curl up, turn onto the other side. It took me 2 days for the sundrying.
  • The papads can now be preserved.
  • Fry them when you need to serve, drain the excess oil on a paper towel.
Sending this for Side Dish Showdown
A couple of months ago many of my blogger friends were doing posts on dried wild mushrooms from Marx foods. After having read so many posts I wanted so much to try them. Sadly Marx foods was only shipping to the US. Then my blessing came along! My niece was making a short trip to the US! So she was able to collect it for me. I finally got my mushroom samplers last weekend and wow! There were 7 varieties and the woody earthy fragrance is heady. For information on what is a wild mushroom click here.

12 comments:

  1. Wow...this is very interesting. It's quite like my mother-in-law makes fish crackers...needs lots of drying in the sun. I have to give up here....not enough sunny days to dry. Maybe have to dry in cold air if that works :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look extraordinary Shirley!!! I have some sago at home and think I'd like to try these. Can't get those mushroom though..any other thing to recommend? Paula Wolfert is coming to dinner for Sat. night and I'm doing a lamb biryani as she doesn't like things too hot and spicy..we like anything the hotter the better..trying to tink of interesting things I might make for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious! The mushrooms must give them such a nice earthy flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow i love papadams and can go on eating them but with mushroom flavor never tried it . Keep some for me coming soon to taste it

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum, great use of the black trumpet mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is how it is made. I can finish them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that you got to try the mushrooms from MarxFoods! The papadums with black trumpets look very unique and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is something very interesting. Would like to taste some though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very interesting...new ingredients for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I have missed out your post! Gee, what an interesting mushroom. Haven't tried them before. Since you highly recommend it, I think it must be fantastic! Hope you're having a wonderful day!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  11. love pappadams.. :) Mushroom pappadam, that's a first for me! Good work Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you were able to try the mushrooms Shirley. These look wonderful! Thanks for sending them to the Showdown!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin