Saturday, November 7, 2009

Roasted Eggplant in Spices/Baingan Bhartha

The eggplant/ aubergine/brinjal is also known as the "king of vegetables".
Roasted Eggplant in Spices/ Baingan Bhartha is a famous, delicious, spicy North Indian eggplant preparation.
For the procedure you can check this video by vah-chef Sanjay Thumma- a very animated chef who enjoys his cooking.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVVMwA0oHsw&feature=channel
I've toned down the spice to make it comfortably edible for all.

Ingredients-
1 eggplant
2 tsps cumin seeds
15 cloves garlic
1/2 inch ginger
1 green chilli

1 large onion
3 tomatoes finely chopped
fresh coriander
oil
salt to taste

Dry spices-
1/2 tsp ground cummin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground tumeric

Preparation-

  • Oil the eggplant, with a fork poke a few holes in the skin and grill it on high for an hour.
  • In a pestle pound the garlic and ginger and keep aside.
  • Chop fine the onion, tomatoes, chilli, and fresh coriander separately and keep aside.
  • Heat oil in a pan and sputter cummin seeds.
  • Add the onions and saute, add the garlic, ginger and chopped chilli and saute lightly.
  • Add the chopped tomatoes and dry spices, mix well. Cover and let it cook.
  • When the eggplant is ready and cool enough to handle, peel and hack the flesh.
  • Now add it to the cooked spices and add salt.
  • Mix well and garnish with fresh coriander.

Serve hot with phulkas.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely eggplant dish. Love all the spices added. I love eggplant but I don't always cook it cos my family dislikes eggplant. On a more positive not, I have no one to fight over with me if ever I cook it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to dip some roti into this. Great way to serve eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love eggplant.Your dish I love with chapati.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's looks fantastic. Mom loves eggplant and I'm sure she's going to love this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spices are wonderful with the eggplant, love the flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, would never have thought of the ginger in this combo... sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks like a great version - I'll need to try it. 15 cloves of garlic. And there's never too much garlic, despite what my wife might say :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've tried several Baingan Bhartha recipes but have always been disappointed. It's one of our favorite dishes at a particular Indian restaurant, Cuisine of India,in Houston, TX. But ever since we moved away from that area, I've been missing their version. They actually pureed their dish, but the spice blend in it was simply amazing. I look forward to giving your recipe a try soon in hopes of finding that Baingan Bharta Nirvana!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin