Upma is a typically South Indian breakfast preparation. Upma can be prepared with a variety of ingredients. I have already covered Oatmeal Upma. Vermicilli can be fun for kids and at the same time all the veggies included give a headstart in the morning. It's simple to prepare and colourful- orange carrot, green peas, white coconut.. If you do not have grated coconut you can also use finely chopped fresh coriander to garnish.
1 cup roasted vermicilli
1 1/4cup water
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 carrot grated
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 inch ginger
1small green chilli(optional)
1tbs grated coconut
salt to tasteOil
- If the vermicilli is not roasted, roast it in a tsp of ghee, till its brown.
- Chop the onion and chilli fine and grate the carrot and keep aside.
- In a pestle crush the ginger.
- Heat oil in a pan and sputter the mustard seeds.
- Add the onion, chilli, and ginger and saute lightly.
- Add the green peas and grated carrot, cover and cook.
- After the veggies are cooked add the water and salt to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the flame to simmer and add the vermicilli, stirring all the time.
- Make sure the vermicilli is cooked and there is no more water left in the pan.
- Turn off the flame, garnish with grated coconut and serve hot.
- To enrich it for kids add a tsp of ghee/clarified butter and serve.