Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Spinach Rice


Spinach Rice another delicious and nutritious way to get your kids to eat their spinach. I have used Enriched Spinach Puree again for this dish. I served the rice with poppadams. If your kids are like mine, the poppadams will be over long before they've even started on the rice!!!

Ingredients-

1 cup rice
2-3 tbs Enriched spinach puree
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup shelled peas
1 chopped onion chopped
2 tsps ghee/clarified butter
1tbs grated cheddar cheese
5 cloves of garlic chopped
2 small cinnamon sticks
6-8 whole peppercorns
3 cardamoms
salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice

Preparation-

  • Cook the rice and keep aside.
  • In a heavy bottomed dish heat 1tsp ghee, add the chopped onions and garlic and whole spices and saute till you begin to get the aroma of the spices.
  • Add the peas, and grated carrot and cover and cook.
  • After the veggies are cooked add the cooked rice, and Enriched Spinach Puree, and salt and mix.
  • Switch off the heat and add the lemon juice.
  • Top with grated cheese or ghee and serve hot with poppadams.

You can also check

Pasta in Spinach Cream Sauce

9 comments:

  1. I can see a lot of flavour in this rice. I would surely love it but I guess I won't add cheese. I'm not really a cheese fan. Besides, the shop doesn't sell one teaspoon even if I need them :( Maybe have to beg from my friends...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. They will finish the poppadams before eating the rice. That's how my nephew eats. He likes to eat the fried spring roll before anything else. If I serve this to my nephew he may not like it. He only likes white rice. But will give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Divina,
    Joel also has the "white rice syndrome", but the poppadams are a good bribe for him! So I keep one aside and promise to give it to him only after he's finished his rice. You could try that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great combination of flavors in this delicious spinach rice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this rice looks and sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the additional vegetables in this recipe. Thanks for sharing this with us at My Meatless Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shirley,

    Thanks for sharing such lovely recipes. Most of your recipes mention khoya (evaporated milk). Please do let me know how to prepare this at home.

    Thanks,
    Priya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Priya,
    I will post khoya recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin