Chole(pronounced as cho-lay) or Chana masala is a popular Punjabi(north-Indian) preparation. Its a side-dish with chickpeas in sour sauce. Usually eaten with batura, or roti. But I can have it as a healthy brunch.
1tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2tsp mustard seeds
1/2tsp tumeric powder
lime-sized ball tamarind
- Soak chickpeas overnight. Add water, tumeric and whole spices and pressure cook till soft.
- Roughly chop onion and tomatoes and puree.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and extract the paste.
- In a pan heat oil and crackle mustard seeds. Add chopped green chilli.
- Add the tomato-onion puree and ginger-garlic paste, and cook.
- Add the tamarind paste, the boiled chickpeas, salt, garam masala and stir well.
- When it simmers, take off the heat.
- Add freshly chopped coriander and serve with baturas or rotis.