Scones is a small British quick bread of Scottish origin. Having lived in Scotland for a short while, I was excited to try something Scottish. However I can say that this was just an attempt and one that needs to be worked on some more. I attempted to make them healthy with the wholemeal and oatmeal, and they were very tasty- (my kids finished them all in a hour after they were out of the oven) but I still feel they could do with some more improvements.
11/2cup wholemeal flour
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp baking powder
- Powder the oatmeal and sugar.
- Sift the wholemeal flour, oatmeal, and baking powder 3 times.
- Cream the butter and sugar and add to the flour and mix with fingers.
- Beat the egg with the milk and add to the mixture.
- Place the mixture onto a powdered surface and heap together.
- Using a round cutter, shape the scones, brush with egg and milk mixture on the surface and place on a tray into pre-heated oven.
- Bake till the tops are brown and the scones bounce back when touched.