Saturday, September 25, 2010

Egg Chutney-International Egg Incident


Egg wha?? I hear you say. Yes you read right.This is presenting egg chutney with crouton sticks.

No other international party so far has been this tough for me. Till 2 days ago I seemed to have drawn a blank! Egg seems to be a well-explored ingredient and I couldnt think of anything unique for the party animals. Then voila, I remembered an old recipe that my childhood friend had passed on to me. So I called her up and revived old memories attached to the recipe.

Egg chutney can be used as a dip or as a spread on a sandwhich which can be included in a school lunch.
Ingredients-
1 egg
1onion
1tomato
2cloves of garlic
1/2inch piece of ginger
1/2tsp of mustard powder
salt and pepper to taste
fresh cilantro

Preparation-
  • Peel garlic and ginger and crush in mortar.
  • Chop onion and tomato.
  • Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard powder.
  • Throw in the chopped onion, crushed ginger-garlic. Saute.
  • Add the tomato and cook.
  • Crack an egg and scramble. Add the fresh cilantro.
  • Cool the mixture and puree.
  • Serve with crouton sticks.

I have a 5 year old tester...(picky eater this one)
...who certifies it as "yummy"

This recipe is a winner at the MasterChef India 2 Blogging Contest.

17 comments:

  1. egg chutney?what?
    i think is a yummy dip, i read the recipe and i know all about...thanks,shirley,very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go thinking outside the box with this challenge! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... this sounds interesting! Smart eh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An egg chutney is a very unique idea, sounds great with ginger addition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids are often the toughest critics I think - if this was certified as yummy by a five year old then I certain it was exactly that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great spread, and the colour is beautifully deceptive - doesn't make you think egg!

    The recipe is similar to an Australian dish from the middle of last century - Mock Chicken - though is missing the cheese component. It's still a staple sandwich spread at many Bowling Clubs and country fairs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Egg chutney! This is the first egg chutney that I've come across. Great idea. Idea for next house party.

    Thanks for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so intrigued by the chutney. Love how it's a vegetarian dish. Will love to make this soon. Great contribution to the Eggs Party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting and would never have thought of egg chutney on my own. Great contribution!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a unique and enticing idea. It really looks delicious. I love the crouton sticks too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of egg chutney before! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How clever--I've never thought of egg as chutney material until today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Shirley, First of, thank you for your message. Yes I have been missing in action in awhile.
    OMG, I have been wanting to make chutneys, this egg chutney is very interesting, and I must say I love all your ingredients here, they are so in my pantry. I would definitely try this. I love to eat eggs and this will definitely be another addition on my "must make list". Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Egg churtney! This is the first time I've ever heard of this. It looks so appertizing. lol! I wish I can have some right away. Hope you're enjoying your day.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That just looks great! I'd love to try that as a protein spread.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin