I've come a long way since I posted my first bread pudding. In this version, I've substituted sugar for jaggery a very healthy option. The apple gives a fruity kick(besides keeping the doctor away). Of course I have only used brown bread, in case you still havent converted to brown, here's why you should.
This can also be sent as part of a school lunch. Avoid the nuts and you can also give it to baby as weaning foods.
1 1/2 cup milk
2 cups bread pieces
1 cup cubed apple
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2cup grated jaggery
1tsp salted butter(optional)
chopped cashew nuts
1/4 tsp cinnamon/nutmeg/cardamom/cloves powder
Preparation- Cut up bread pieces into cubes, from crusts or corners that you've kept aside from sandwhiches. !
- Pour the milk in a dish, add the bread cubes, eggs, jaggery, apple cubes and coconut milk. Use a fork to lightly mix. Leave to soak for half an hour.
- Add the melted butter and cinnamon/nutmeg/cardamom powder.
- Grease a mould and pour in . Sprinkle raisins and chopped nuts.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 160C for 25 mins.
- Stand for 10 mins , then cool.
- Serve warm or chilled.