Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Nutmeg Fruit

My mom had visited us recently. On her way here she had also paid a visit to my grandmom in Kerala. From there she brought me this beautiful nutmeg fruit to show me and for the benefit of my lovely readers. My uncle in Kerala has a few nutmeg trees in his plantation.



...to expose and release the gorgeous mace covered nut.



Can you see how perfect the cut is in the centre? as if sliced through by a knife!

Truly amazing are the works and beauty of nature!


The mace and nut is then seperately sun-dried for use.


Well do you know what we did with the fruit? Mom prepared this finger-licking, lip smacking chutney out of it!!


The winner of the Teacher's day giveaway is Kathy Persons. Congratulations! will contact you through mail.
There will be more giveaways coming soon, stay tuned.
This is the only tropical fruit that is the source of two different spices- the nutmeg and the mace. The nutmeg encased in mace is within this fruit. When it is ready the fruit naturally splits perfectly in the centre, while it is yet hanging on the tree...

13 comments:

  1. I have never seen a nutmeg fruit before. This is amazing. thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely info thank you for sharing
    God is great he has created so many beautiful things

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, fresh nutmeg! We have alot here too but have yet to see the fresh ones. haha... So hilarious! haha... Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this was fascinating. I've never seen fresh nutmeg before--is anything done with the actual fruit part? That mace is so graphically bright that it almost looks unreal... especially compared to the dry brown powder on my shelf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. I love nutmeg in both sweet and savory dishes. The mace is an astounding color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god that is SO cool! I would have never thought that occurred in nature!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are couple of nutmeg trees at my Grand parents backyard too. I've never tried making chutney with it, looking forward to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This nutmeg fruit is very neat - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post. I ate a lot of preserved nutmeg when I was staying in Penang...really delicious. The sweet preserve is made from the outer shell of the nutmeg. I love nutmeg oil, too. It's a very good oilment for skin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I'm enthralled. I've never seen anything like it before. It looks like Spiderman's heart. That's absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice.. Had never seen a Nutmeg before! Only seen it being used in the spice form.. Looks similar to the butter-fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fascinating,i saw this for the first time in my life,because of you ,my dear ,thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing such clear photos of the nutmeg fruit. The mace looks like hands clasping the nutmeg. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin