Saturday, March 19, 2011

Bhajis and Spiced Tea- International Nostalgia Incident


Time to walk down memory lane at the International Incident Party. This month's theme being Nostalgia, it was quite fun going back in time...
At mom's place we used to enjoy some heavy showers during the monsoon season. There were times when we would be rained in for days, resulting in flooding and associated complications. Nevertheless, there was nothing better than enjoying hot bhajis with some spiced Indian tea while we watched the rain pour down and hear it thundering on the roof and see the little kids try to sail their paper boats in the little rivers.

Bhajis are an Indian version of vegetable fritters.

Ingredients-
1 large onion
1 large potato
Chickpea flour
salt to taste
Chilli powder
Water

Preparation-
  • Slice the onion and separate. Peel potato and slice fine.
  • Prepare a batter with the chickpea flour, salt chilli powder and water. The batter should not be too thick or too runny.
  • Dip the onion and potato into the batter with a fork and deep fry in clusters.
  • Drain on a paper towel and serve hot.

Spiced Tea/Masala Chai
Ingredients-
Spices-
2cloves
2 black peppers
1 stick of cinamon
3/4th inch of fresh ginger
1cardamom

1 1/2 cup water
1 cup milk
1tbs sugar
2tsps tea powder

Preparation-
  • Peel the cardamom and ginger. In a mortar crush all the spices.
  • Add the spices to the water and boil in a kettle.
  • Let it brew till you smell the spices. Add the milk and tea powder. As it begins to boil, switch off the fire and add the sugar.
  • Serve hot and let it refresh you.

25 comments:

  1. I'm sitting here with rain pounding down on the roof and these look soooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love food that is attached with memories! These little fritters look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love to eat bhajjis...looks realy tempting !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love masala chai... and bhaji! I miss having them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful memory and your bhajis look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. bhaji is a little nostalgic for me too! This was one of the first few Jamie Oliver're recipe that I made... I just started to learn how to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The simple dishes are often the most memorable. Your bhajis and spiced tea sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a great match! Tea and bajjis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, great combination. I've never tried chickpea flour, but I bet it makes a tasty batter. I am going to try your Masala Chai for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also find such comfort to drink warm tea on those rainy days. I would love the Bhajis to go with it, they look delicious. Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bhaji and tea is such a great combo for afternoon snacks. We often makes this, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never thought to make my own chai tea. I have never seen tea powder but, will be looking at my next trip to the market.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to learn about bhajis, they sound like such delicious fritters! The spiced tea sounds absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey dear...there's a award waiting for you in my space...please collect it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when certain foods always bring back a memory or time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could do without the rain for days but having such a tasty treat associated with that memory is awesome, I love bhajis. Never made them and it looks easy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shirley, I'm heading over for tea. lol! Do you mind making one more batch for me to enjoy? ha... Hope you're enjoying your day, dear.
    Best regards, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bhajis were my first introduction to Indian cuisine many many years ago!! So in a way, they have great memories for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haven't taken bhajis before, looks good. Wonder how the spice tea will taste like ....sounds refreshing with the spices.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those veggie fritters sound like they could be very addictive indeed ;o)

    Shirley, it was so nice of you to have passed by lately ;) Have a great day.

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a yummie trip down memory lane. Thanks for stopping by and supporting Ann. I totally agree with you about being grateful for life!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This would make a very good afternoon tea with friend. I have always wanted to make some fritters using chickpea flour but somehow never got down to making it. Too many things I want to cook...haha

    ReplyDelete
  23. An awesome evening snack!!

    Do visit me @
    http://valarskitchen-basics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Shirley, Thank you for being a part of March's YBR!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin