Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Puran Poli

Puran Poli is a traditional sweet prepared in Maharashtra, Gujarat,Goa and South India. It is also known as Obbattu/Hollige in Kannada and Bobbattlu in Telegu. Though it is a dessert served on auspicious occasions and during important festivals, I find it a nutritious and healthy option for the family at regular intervals. Traditionally the dough is prepared with refined flour, however I have replaced that with wholemeal, paratha style for health purposes.
Ingredients-
For Stuffing-
1 cup channa dal/split chickpea
1 cup jaggery(alter to taste)
5 cloves cardamom
For Roti-
1cup wheat flour
water to mix
pinch of salt

Preparation-
For stuffing:
  • Soak the dal for 1 hour, pressure cook till soft.
  • Add jaggery and mash, while you stir, keep on low fire, till all the water evaporates.
  • Peel the cardamom and crush the seeds in a mortar. Add cardamom powder and desiccated coconut to the mixture.
  • Switch off the heat when the mixture begins to leave the pan.
For paratha:
  • Roll out 2 rotis. Spread the stuffing evenly on one roti.
  • Place the other roti over it and press the edges firmly.
  • Heat the girdle and fry both sides.
  • Top with ghee and serve hot.
Enjoy
You might also like-
Edible Diyas

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a yummy specialty, I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've tried this.... it's looks like Prata :) Interesting!

    Have a great week, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love puran polis ... I've never tried one with coconut in it before ... must be adding an interesting texture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet pratha dessert.... I am so naughty but I prefer if drizzled with condensed milk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. delicious looking puran poli yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds yummy this combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shirley, I think it was a small problem at blospot, who manages my blog. I checked, the button is now functional in translation. Sorry for the inconvenience. I love these roti and they are filled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shirley, I have always loved having this. Two pieces for breakfast or lunch.
    And yours look really delicious.
    You got a black belt in cooking I guess.
    Have fun and keep a song in your heart.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks great my friend makes this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What delicious parathas! They look so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great for breakfast, stuffed roti.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks absolutely divine. I am definitely going to try this out soon. Thank you :-)
    (Also, thank you for your comments at my blog, I'm terribly sorry for replying so late! No excuses!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin