Lapsi/ Broken Wheat porridge is another precious one in the baby's first foods collection that I have learnt from my mom's kitchen. Lapsi being a cereal can also be taken for breakfast by older kids and adults alike. It can be served sweet or otherwise according to the taste preference. The cumin/jeera powder will enhance the digestion in both versions(sweet or non-sweet).
3tbs lapsi/broken wheat
1 glass whole milk
1/2 tsp jeera/cumin powder
grated jaggery to taste
salt to tasteTo enrich-
- Clean the lapsi and soak in half glass milk for 5 minutes.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan or a small pressure cooker and cook the lapsi on medium heat. But DO NOT cover the lid completely.
- As the lapsi begins to boil add the rest of the milk and cook on low flame. Keep stirring.
- When you get the required consistency take it off the flame. I prefer to have it in a semi-solid form rather than too runny. This serves 2 purposes- the baby's first food is nomally an introduction to semi-solids and this form is easier to feed since the spillage is less.
- If you like to serve it sweet add the grated jaggery and date paste according to taste. Add the jeera/cumin powder as well.
- If you dont want the sweet version add salt and jeera powder.
- Enrich it with almond/cashew powder.
- Serve warm.