A little about the Cheddar cheese used in this preparation-
Cheddar cheese is firm and made from cow's milk. It is a good source of vitamin B12. A slice (40 g) contains about 0.5 µg of vitamin B12 (required daily intake for an adult is 2.4 µg). It is usually pale yellow(off white) in colour with a sharp, salty, pungent flavour.
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 onion chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
3 flakes garlic crushed
salt to taste
freshly ground pepper
Cheddar Cheese sauce-
1 1/2 tbs butter
1 1/2 tbs flour
1 cup milk
1tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup grated Cheddar
salt to taste
To prepare macaroni-
- Boil macaroni in water and strain. Add cold water and strain again.
- In a pan heat oil, and saute garlic and onions.
- Add tomatoes and cook till juices blend.
- Add the macaroni and mix well. Take it off the fire.
- Melt the butterand remove from heat.
- Stir in flour and seasonings.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until well mixed.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Cook for 5 minutes longer; add cheese. Stir until its smooth.
- In a baking tray, spread a layer of the macaroni mixture and over it a layer of the sauce.
- Keep adding layers alternatively making sure the last layer is of the sauce.
- Layer some grated cheese and freshly ground pepper on the top.
- Bake at 200 C for 10 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes and serve hot.