4tbs heaped pearl barley
6 cups of water
1cup pineapple pulp/juice
2tbs ginger juice
1/4 kg sugar
1/2tsp citric acid
- Soak pearl barley in hot water for an hour.
- Add water and pressure cook till soft.
- While the barley cooks, extract the juice from pineapple. Peel and crush the cardamom seeds in a pestle.
- Peel and wash the ginger, crush in mortar and sqeeze out the juice.
- Once the barley is cooked drain the water and reserve.
- When the barley is cool, pulp it in a blender.
- Add the reserve and mix well.
- Strain through a sieve.
- Add the pineapple pulp/juice, ginger juice, sugar, citric acid and cardamom powder to the barley.
- Bring this mixture to a boil. You will know its done when a residue begins to form on the sides. The mixture will have a syrup consistency.
- Cool and store in a sterilized bottle.
- To serve add chilled water and dilute according to taste. No sugar is required to be added.
Enjoy and keep cool!
You might like