Friday, June 11, 2010

Chicken Jalfrezi

Have you ever observed how role modelling affects a child?
Have been watching my son's playmates recently, its not surprising to see the son of a muscle-flexing, arm-twisting, aggressive dad, turn into a bully; and the son of a "yes minister" turn into the bully's victim. Yes we see a lot of these situations shown in movies, however 'real' life is sometimes not far from 'reel' life. We grow in the image of those we love. My heart aches for both kids and I hope they will someday be able to break out of their parental stereotypes. Have you observed such situations in your neighbourhood?

After having tried Paneer Jalfrezi and Tofu Jalfrezi I was eager to try the chicken version. Undoubtedly great results!

Ingredients-
1/4 kg chicken breasts

Marinade-
Ginger-garlic paste
lemon juice
salt to taste

For jalfrezi
1 big onion
1one inch ginger pieces
1green chilli
1 big capsicum/bell pepper
2 large ripe tomatoes
1tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp red chill powder
1tsp tumeric powder
1tsp garam masala powder
salt to taste
2 tbs oil
Freshly chopped coriander


Preparation-
  • Wash clean the chicken and cut into long bite-size slices. Marinate for 2hours.
  • Peel onion and cut into thin slices, separate the layers.
  • Peel ginger and cut into juliennes.
  • Wash green chilli and chop.
  • Cut tomatoes and capsicum into long slices.
  • Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, when they splutter add ginger, green chilli and sliced onions. Saute.
  • Add red chilli and tumeric powder. Stir well.
  • Add the marinated chicken pieces and stir well. Keep covered and let it cook.
  • When the chicken is half done, add the capsicum and cook.
  • Add tomato, garam masala, salt and cook.
  • Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
  • Serve hot with rotis.
 
You might like-

14 comments:

  1. oh my favorite. i love this anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The presentation is stunning. I love the color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really looks delicious and your photos are great. I would love to try this, the ingredients are wonderful. I'm a big fan of ginger. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favourites.
    Awesome photos too.
    Wishing you a great weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've loved every one of your versions of these. This one is no exception! I love all the color in this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. jalfrezi sounds wonderful!so many flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I have to say even though I am deathly allergic to onions if I wasn't this would be the dish for me!! looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks lovely. Very tasty and so right for summer here in sonoma. You are so right about kids...when we used to p[lay my mom would always say..she could always hear my voice...! wound up as a broadcaster on the radio for many years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photo looks beautiful and juicy delicious! Wait for me to join in for dinner huh! hehe... Love every single bit of it. Hope you're having a fabulous weekend.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pics look great and the colours are so attractive. Will go well with any rotis!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How many tomatoes should be used? They are not listed in the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kristin,
      Thank you for pointing out the slip. 2 large ripe tomatoes will do. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  12. I'd like to try thi recipe soon. It sounds wonderful! I think I had it once in an Indian restaurant in a neighboring town, but yours looks so much BETTER!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin