Sunday, July 4, 2010

Banana Flower

The banana tree is a wonder plant that every part of the tree is used for cooking purposes. Have you ever tried cooking the banana flower or banana blossom? Purple in colour, heart-shaped, it is commonly seen in the Indian markets where it is considered a vegetable.
It is considered to be a good source of vitamins A and C. Also believed to be a good lactating agent and helps to relieve painful mentruation. It is also a very good source of fibre.
Here are pictures of a banana flower freshly cut. Leaks a lot of sap as its cut. Beware of staining.

Do you prepare the banana flower? Is it used in your culture? Do share.

Will share with you a traditional recipe with banana flower that I learnt from my mom, in the coming post.

GIVEAWAY WINNER
The winner of the cordless crepe maker is Kelly Parr.
Congrats Kelly!

14 comments:

  1. Banana flowers! It's one of Asian famous cuisines especially in Malay cuisine. They normally use this to make turmeric coconut stew. Really flavourful and delicious. Hope you're having a great weekend, dear.
    Regards, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shirley!!! I look forward to my crepe maker!! Whooo hooooo!
    Oh and the banana flower? :) No I have never cooked with it... no trees around this neighborhood! Even when I lived in Asia.. I never had it... so can't wait to see how your momma made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a dramatic flower. I've never seen one before since we don't have the right climate for banana trees. Looks and sounds interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shirl,in our culture...don't exist banana flower,because of wheather...but i saw banana flowers at botanical garden...:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I had no idea at all of this awesome dish.
    Wishing you a great Sunday ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banana blossoms are famous in our culture. When I was growing up in the Philippines, I remember we have like 4 banana trees and when it produced the blossoms, my mom and dad will add them in stews and soups. I have not seen this in a long time here in the U.S. Thank you for sharing a beautiful photo. I look forward on your next post for Banana blossom recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've cooked with it once but failed. Wil try again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never even seen one of these before! So cool.

    Thanks for sharing all of this information with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I have seen banana flowers before but have yet to see what's it for. Waiting for your post, eagerly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. At the South Asian market in Santa Rosa they sell banana flower. I bought one and cooked it last year. I blogged about it. I was wonderful so I've been buying them ever since. If you've got a good recipe I'd love to try it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cooking with banana flower and eagerly look forward to your recipe! I only have one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never cooked banana flowers. I remember we used to play with it when we were young, if ever my parents allowed. We love to peel and play with it. Thought it was very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! Banana flower? Look forward to the next post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummm I love banana flower. Can't wait to see your recipe :)
    Thanks for sharing,
    Tes

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin