Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bhapa Doi- Steamed Yoghurt Dessert

Bhapa Doi is a Bengali dessert. Bhapa meaning steamed and Doi means yoghurt. My niece had tried it recently and declared it a must-have. I've followed the recipe exactly as she had given me and we truly relished it. Simple to prepare and delicious. Can also be given as one of the baby's first foods.
Ingredients-
1 cup yoghurt
1 cup milk
1 can condensed milk (400 gms)
raisins
pistachios
almonds blanched and sliced

Preparation-
  • Whisk the yoghurt, add milk and condensed milk and blend well.
  • Add nuts and raisins and mix well.
  • Pour into pudding mould.
  • Cover with butter paper and tie around the mould.
  • Pour 2 cups of water into a pressure cooker, and place the mould on a stand.
  • Bring to full pressure on high heat, then reduce and cook for 20 minutes. Dont close the lid as for pressure cooking.
  • Once done allow to cool.
  • Remove from the cooker and allow to cool. Drain off the excess water and serve.


You might also like-
Bread Pudding

17 comments:

  1. A friend of mine cooked this pudding for us the other day and I really enjoyed it.
    I must say that yours is much better presented ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of steamed yogurt before but I bet it's delicious with the pistachios!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious, you're niece is right this is a must. And so this will also be on my "must try" list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make this dessert! I love it. I steam mine in the oven though since I don't have a pressure cooker. Yours looks absolutely beautiful. It's one of my favorite company desserts. I also add soaked sultana raisins to mine sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious and healthy. I know I will like it....with condensed milk there....haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm... what happens if I do not have pressure cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  7. never had a dessert that had curd as the main ingredient! Bengali sweets rock!! Good one Shirley.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's gorgeous. What is the flavor like? Does it have the tang of yogurt or does the sweetened condensed milk lighten that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is something interesting, Shirley. It looks so nicely steamed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, Shirley, your steamed yoghurt dessert looks perfect! My mouthwatering. I think I need a spoon for this right now. hehe...
    Have a nice day, dear.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  11. very clever idea!i like it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, how interesting this recipe with yogurt...love the idea of it...and the pistachio on it it sure looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I am sure this will hit my sweet spot and I pretend yogurt is good for me whilst I relish the whole bowl by myself! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being a Bengali this recipe is a blessing for me...I am gonna try it tonight itself..yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is interesting and gonna try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just found your blog today. You have some awesome photos and inspiring recipes. Can't wait to try this one out, but I'll have to have a tiny bit - all those calories!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin