Sunday, July 18, 2010

Moong Wholemeal Tacos with ScrambledCottage Cheese-International Tacos Incident

Time for yet another International Party. Don't I love them now. I guess you are used to my Indian versions of what I bring to the party by now. This one was tough to crack I must say. Usually taco shells are made from tortillas which are usually made from white flour or cornmeal. I've prepared the shells puri style with added nutrition from the moong. Hope everyone at the party enjoys them.

Moong Wholemeal Taco Shells
Servings : 4

1/2 cup split green gram with skin 
2 1/2 cupsWhole wheat flour (atta)
1 tsp green chilli paste

1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder

1/4 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste

1 tbs oil + to deep fry
Preparation-
  • Wash and soak the dal for 2-3 hours.
  • Drain and grind into a fine paste with very little water.
  • Mix the other ingredients along with 1 tbs oil to flour and knead into a medium soft dough. Keep covered for an hour.
  • Divide into small size balls. Roll out each into a puri. Heat oil and fry the tacos on medium heat. When frying twist it into half. 
Cottage Cheese Stuffing
Ingredients-
200gms Paneer/Cottage cheese


1onion minced
1 garlic minced
1 tomato sliced
1/4tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp tumeric powder
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4tsp garam masala
salt to taste
Oil


Preparation-
  • Heat oil in a pan, and splutter cumin seeds.
  • Add onions and garlic and saute. Then add the the tomatoes, and spices, cover and cook.
  • Add salt and stir well.
  • Add crumbled cottage cheese/paneer and stir well. Take off the heat.
Assemble-
  • Spoon in the mixture into the tacos and serve hot.
At the party you will find-

21 comments:

  1. I love how you Indian-ified tacos! That filling looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative in the way you add your Indian touch to each International Incident. How clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scramble cotttage cheese filling is singing to me. Love the spices and you kept it healthy by using wholemeal tacos.. YUM YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! When I saw fry-bread tacos on another blog I was wondering about an indian spice version. Yours look so flavoursome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healthy Wholemeal Tacos are good ! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrambled cottage cheese is an interesting spin on the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, Shirley.. love your innovations in every cuisine..

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow Shirley! I love your innovations in every cusine..

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds very healthy. Nice Indian twist on a Mexican classic

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love tacos with breakfast ingredients! I like the addition of the garam masala and the tumeric to the spice mix :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. It never ceases to amaze me how you always come up with an Indian twist to these parties! Now ... I really can't wait to see what you do with scones!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am SO intrigued by your taco shells...they sound so original...I bet they taste out of this world, too. Awesome tacos =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your indian taco shells. Very original combination all together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds delicious!!! I don't eat cottage chees but I bet you could use firm tofu instead?! What do you all think?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Shirley, I think this is really a great idea! Having such combination. Absolutely yummy! Good job, darling. Hope you're enjoying your day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Indian flavors coming to North America be interesting! Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. mmmmmm, these look delicious! such bold, deep flavors are wonderful on tacos. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely smart way to make your own tacos...healthy and delicious...mmm

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin