The eggplant/ aubergine/brinjal is also known as the "king of vegetables".
Roasted Eggplant in Spices/ Baingan Bhartha is a famous, delicious, spicy North Indian eggplant preparation.
For the procedure you can check this video by vah-chef Sanjay Thumma- a very animated chef who enjoys his cooking.
I've toned down the spice to make it comfortably edible for all.
2 tsps cumin seeds
15 cloves garlic
1/2 inch ginger
1 green chilli
1 large onion
3 tomatoes finely chopped
salt to taste
1/2 tsp ground cummin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- Oil the eggplant, with a fork poke a few holes in the skin and grill it on high for an hour.
- In a pestle pound the garlic and ginger and keep aside.
- Chop fine the onion, tomatoes, chilli, and fresh coriander separately and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and sputter cummin seeds.
- Add the onions and saute, add the garlic, ginger and chopped chilli and saute lightly.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and dry spices, mix well. Cover and let it cook.
- When the eggplant is ready and cool enough to handle, peel and hack the flesh.
- Now add it to the cooked spices and add salt.
- Mix well and garnish with fresh coriander.
Serve hot with phulkas.