Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Wholemeal Pumpkin Cake
- Sift flour and baking powder 3 times.
- Beat the eggs and keep aside.
- Cream the sugar and butter. Add the rest of the ingredients in.
- If the consistency is too thick add some warm milk.
- Grease a baking tray and fill in the contents.
- Bake in a preheated oven or microwave at 200 for 40 minutes. Then at 170 for 15 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before taking off the pan and cutting into slices.
- Serve and enjoy!
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Sweet Potato Crepes
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Mac and Cheese (Macaroni and Cheese)
A little about the Cheddar cheese used in this preparation-
Cheddar cheese is firm and made from cow's milk. It is a good source of vitamin B12. A slice (40 g) contains about 0.5 µg of vitamin B12 (required daily intake for an adult is 2.4 µg). It is usually pale yellow(off white) in colour with a sharp, salty, pungent flavour.
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 onion chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
3 flakes garlic crushed
salt to taste
freshly ground pepper
Cheddar Cheese sauce-
1 1/2 tbs butter
1 1/2 tbs flour
1 cup milk
1tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup grated Cheddar
salt to taste
To prepare macaroni-
- Boil macaroni in water and strain. Add cold water and strain again.
- In a pan heat oil, and saute garlic and onions.
- Add tomatoes and cook till juices blend.
- Add the macaroni and mix well. Take it off the fire.
- Melt the butterand remove from heat.
- Stir in flour and seasonings.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until well mixed.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Cook for 5 minutes longer; add cheese. Stir until its smooth.
- In a baking tray, spread a layer of the macaroni mixture and over it a layer of the sauce.
- Keep adding layers alternatively making sure the last layer is of the sauce.
- Layer some grated cheese and freshly ground pepper on the top.
- Bake at 200 C for 10 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes and serve hot.
Mozarella Cheese Cutlets
Monday, September 7, 2009
Lapsi/Broken Wheat Porridge
Sunday, September 6, 2009
Health Benefits of Beetroot
BEETROOT is a vegetable that provides nutrients from both roots and leaves.
Nutrients- The beetroot greens are rich in calcium, iron, Vitamins A and C. The beetroots are a very good source of fibre, manganese and potassium and an excellent source of folic acid. Both the greens and roots are a good source of phosphorous, magnesium, iron and Vitamin B6.
Blood Circulation-When you think beetroot, you think red - Blood red! Yes this vegetable can do wonders for your blood circulation. The presence of iron and magnesium helps in blood production, thus proving beneficial for aneamia. Research suggests that drinking 500ml of beetroot juice a day significantly lowers blood pressure. Researches found that the blood pressure was reduced in healthy volunteers within an hour of drinking the juice.
Bowel- The high fibre content in beetroot acts as a laxative and promotes bowel movement.
Cardiovascular- The fibre again has cholestrol lowering capacities and keeps the heart in good condition.
Cancer- The pigment in beetroot increases cell levels and aids cell growth, thus working well in any degenerative disease like Cancer or Alzheimer.
Liver- The bioactive agent betaine in beetroot supports healthy liver function. The fats are broken down efficiently thus preventing fatigue and nausea.
Stamina- The nitrates present have shown to increase stamina. Studies have shown that consumption of beetroot have helped in performing better in physically strenuous execises.
For the maximum benefits of beetroot it is best consumed raw rather than cooked.
You can also try
/font>/>/>>/>/>>/>>/>>/>/>>/>>/>>/>>/>>/>>/>>/>1cup wheat flour
water to mix
pinch of salt
- Wash clean the beetroots, peel and grate.
- Then run i the grated beetroot in the blender in batches to get a fine paste.
- Put this paste on pan, add the cumin powder and cook till the water is absorbed and the paste is relatively dry. /font>/>/>>/>/>>/>>/>>/>/>>/>>/>>/>>/>>/>>/>>/>
- Add the paneer, salt and pepper. Mix well and take off the fire. Your stuffing is ready.
- Roll out 2 rotis. Spread the stuffing evenly on one roti.
- Place the other roti over it and press the edges firmly.
- Heat the girdle and fry both sides.
- Top with ghee or butter and serve hot.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Paneer(Cottage cheese) Jalfrezi
- Peel onion and cut into thin slices, separate the layers.
- Peel ginger and cut into juliennes.
- Wash green chilli and chop.
- Cut tomatoes and capsicum into long slices.
- Cut paneer into finger sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, when they splutter add ginger, green chilli and sliced onions. Saute.
- Add red chilli and tumeric powder. Stir well and mix capsicum pieces and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomato, garam masala, salt and cook.
- Add paneer pieces and toss.
- Serve hot with rotis.