There's nothing as comforting as eating some hot dal-roti. Though I do make dal on a regular basis, I never thought of blogging about it. It's one of those regular dishes that you feel is not special enough to blog about.
To get the most from your lentils, its best to soak them in water at least an hour before cooking. Now you have a variety of cook-quick lentils, however that one is not as good when it comes to taste. Once you know how to prepare the simple-humble dal, you can throw your greens too and get spinach-dal and amaranth-dal.
The winner of the giveaway is Mary Ann Dames. Stay tuned for this month's giveaway.
1cup toor dal/lentils
1sprig curry leaf
1/2tsp tumeric powder
1/2tsp mustard seeds
1tsp cumin powder
salt to taste
- Soak the dal for at least an hour before cooking.
- Slice the tomato, chop or pound the garlic
- Add water a little above level of the dal. Add the curry leaf and pressure cook till soft.
- Tempering- Heat 1tsp ghee in a pan, splutter the mustard seeds, add sliced shallots and let them brown. Add this to the cooked dal.
- Add salt and cumin powder.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander/cilantro.
- Serve hot with rotis or rice.