Tamarind is one of those fruits that many Indians have childhood memories linked to. Some of plucking off trees, others of buying them from the imli wala outside the school. Amusing to note how memories can be linked to the gustatory system. The sweet and sour taste of the tamarind makes ones lips pucker and eye twitch.
When I had decided to try the jam I bought a box of "sweet tamarind" - produce of Thailand. On tasting it I found it disappointingly sweet! I mean what's tamarind without the tart? On browsing I learnt something new. There are two types of tamarind- sweet to eat and sour to cook. The sweet tamarind did not fit into my schema at all!
Sugarless Tamarind Jam- This recipe came about by accident. Normally tamarind jams are made with sour tamarind adding loads of sugar. Many of my health conscious friends and readers keep asking me how to avoid all that sugar in jams? Being disappointed with the sweetness of the Thailand tamarind, I had to add some sour tamarind to balance the taste. Outcome- I did not need the sugar at all! So here's a healthy version of the jam for you.
250 gms sweet tamarind
1 tbs of sour tamarind
- Shell and strip the long fiber of the tamarind and keep aside.
- Heat the water, bring it to a boil. Take 2 tbs of the water and soak the sour tamarind in it. Soak the sweet tamarind in the rest of the water.
- When the tamarind is soft; extract the pulp using your hands and throw away the seeds and skin.
- Mix both the types of tamarind pulp stir well and taste for balance. (If you'd like to have it some more sour add accordingly.)
- Keep cooking till done. (To test if ready put a little on a cold saucer, if adequately set it will wrinkle and feel firm.)
- When done switch off the heat and add the honey, stir well.
- Cool and preserve in sterilized bottle.
Voww!!!unbelievable...jam with tamarind never thought of it...damn gud..ReplyDelete
my first visit here..u hav a wonderful space...
I've never seen these whole tamarinds before and you made jam with them .... You're amazing, Shirley!ReplyDelete
Amazing and so healthy!ReplyDelete
Jam with tamarind is innovative recipe,awesome idea.ReplyDelete
Shirley, I never seen this before...heard a lot...the jams sounds yummie and healthy.ReplyDelete
Hope you are having a great week :)
wow..sounds very interesting..;)ReplyDelete
Very Yumm n innovative Recipe Dear. Awesome Sweet n Sour Combo Jam.Luv it !ReplyDelete