If you have been a follower of Enriching Your Kid! you would know by now, how I love to try out a cake or muffin with flours other than refined. I have been using wholewheat for a while now, but always found it dense. We got used to it and adapted it as a healthier option. This recipe is adapted from one that was shared by a friend and I found that the texture was not as dense as usual. I used multigrain flour. The kids helped me through all of it and yes a lot of chocolate vermicelli got eaten before reaching the batter!
Wholewheat flour or multigrain - 100 gm
Baking powder - 3/4 tsp
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Sugar - 100 gm
Olive oil - 1/2 cup
Orange juice - 1/4 cup
Egg - 2
Grated carrot-1/2 cup
Orange essence - 1 tsp
- Sift together the dry ingredients 3 times.
- In a separate bowl mix all the wet ingredients and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix.
- Check the consistency of the batter. If too thick add orange juice to get pouring consistency. Add butterscotch nibs.
- Pour into greased and dusted muffin moulds. Sprinkle chocolate vermicelli.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for approximately 30-40 mins till done.