For this month's Secret Recipe Club assignment I had a very different experience. I was assigned Emily's blog Life on Food.Usually when I work on my assignments, I have a tough time trying to decide which recipe I should choose. However this month I didn't have to go too far. When I saw Emily's Cornmeal Waffles I immediately knew this was the one I wanted to try.
Waffle variations are a favourite with my kids so when I saw cornmeal and waffles I simply went for it. I did tweak up the recipe a it to give it a healthy twist.
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup fine cornmeal
Jaggery to sweeten
1tbs desiccated coconut
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
3 large eggs separated
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix wet ingredients except the egg whites.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the whites in a blender to stiff peaks.
- Fold into the batter to get the right consistency.
- Ladle onto the waffle iron and cook till golden and crisp.