Horsegram sprouts with grated coconut and jaggery is a recipe straight from my mom's kitchen. A very healthy breakfast option and is as simple as it gets.
Horsegram is a legume that is high in iron, a good source of protein and a fairly good source of calcium. Sprouting or germination is a simple method of food processing that increases nutritive value. Combined with jaggery which is known for its iron content, makes this preparation highly nutritive for growing kids.
1/2 glass horsegram
- Wash, clean horsegram and soak overnight.
- Drain the water and clean the seeds removing all the non-viable ones. These seeds will remain hard and are very unpleasant to bite into if not cleant.
- Tie in a cloth and let it sprout for 8 hours.
- Pressure cook the horsegram with water. After one whistle check if its soft enough.
- Spoon it into a bowl, add jaggery grated coconut and cardamom powder.
- Your breakfast of sprouted muthira with jaggery and grated coconut is ready to be devoured.