A little about the Cheddar cheese used in this preparation-
Cheddar cheese is firm and made from cow's milk. It is a good source of vitamin B12. A slice (40 g) contains about 0.5 µg of vitamin B12 (required daily intake for an adult is 2.4 µg). It is usually pale yellow(off white) in colour with a sharp, salty, pungent flavour.
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 onion chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
3 flakes garlic crushed
salt to taste
freshly ground pepper
Cheddar Cheese sauce-
1 1/2 tbs butter
1 1/2 tbs flour
1 cup milk
1tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup grated Cheddar
salt to taste
To prepare macaroni-
- Boil macaroni in water and strain. Add cold water and strain again.
- In a pan heat oil, and saute garlic and onions.
- Add tomatoes and cook till juices blend.
- Add the macaroni and mix well. Take it off the fire.
- Melt the butterand remove from heat.
- Stir in flour and seasonings.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until well mixed.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Cook for 5 minutes longer; add cheese. Stir until its smooth.
- In a baking tray, spread a layer of the macaroni mixture and over it a layer of the sauce.
- Keep adding layers alternatively making sure the last layer is of the sauce.
- Layer some grated cheese and freshly ground pepper on the top.
- Bake at 200 C for 10 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes and serve hot.
We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.
We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.
Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.
To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"
A big welcome to you! I am already on Petitchef. Check the logo at the bottom. Glad you like the recipes. Enjoy!
Can this be prepared without using oven?
Please do let me know
Good to see you! The baking helps to combine it well. You can prepare it without baking, and it will be like any other pasta and sauce dish.