Having posted about the Banana Flower I had an overwhelming response from all of you. Sharing with you my mom's recipe though I didnt manage to acquire the exact taste. You can serve it as a side-dish for rotis, rice or parathas.
1/2 cup moong
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1 sprig curry leaf
1/2 banana flower
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1 green chilli
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
Salt to tastePreparation-
- Soak the moong overnight. Next morning add a cup of water to Ingredients A and pressure cook till soft.
- Chop the banana flower, onion, green chilli and garlic fine.
- While the moong cooks, heat oil in a pan and sputter the mustard seeds.
- Saute the onion, garlic and green chilli.
- Add the banana flower and chilli powder. Stir well, cover and cook.
- Add salt. When the banana flower is completely cooked add the cooked moong.
- Add cumin powder and stir well.
- Take off the heat and serve hot with roti, rice or parathas.
I tried cooking with banana flower once. It is an acquired taste. I am ok with it but not a big fan. And also it is quite expensive here to buy.ReplyDelete
Never had moong... what exactly is it? Beans of some type?ReplyDelete
It sure does look tasty!
What an interesting dish! I have never tried this before but our local Malays love it very much. They usually cooking it with creamy coconut milk & turmeric & bird-eye chilies. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day!ReplyDelete
I know that I will never find a banana flower in Vermont, but this was still an interesting post. Thanks!ReplyDelete
This dish is so interesting! I wish we had banana flowers here.ReplyDelete
I would for sure love your dish.ReplyDelete
Great combination of flavours ♥
Very interesting combination..will try someday...ReplyDelete
I'm trying this as soon as I buy my next banana flower!!! Thanks for posting this recipe Shirl.ReplyDelete
This dish is interesting and by the way, what's moong?ReplyDelete
what a interesting dish,shirley,thanks for sharing !this is so new to me!ReplyDelete
my favourites ....ReplyDelete
Very intresting. I remember when I was young mom used to prepare curries with banana flowers. After moving our I haven't seen it much.ReplyDelete