Monday, February 27, 2012

Wholewheat Banana Oat Muffins

 

It's time for the Secret Recipe Club once again. It's exciting as well as challenging to be a part of this club, exciting to try out new recipes, challenging to adapt international recipes. This month I was assigned Casey's blog My Beautiful Disasters. Casey has a good number of bakes that I wanted to try out, I finally chose to prepare Wholewheat Banana Oat Muffins. I adapted the recipe to make it healthier by eliminating the all purpose flour completely.

And most importantly since I had Kids in the Kitchen they simply had to throw in some chocolate chips! My sous chefs had a blast folding in the ingredients, mashing the bananas and throwing in the chocolate chips (in the mouth)

Kid-o-meter: Certified as "yummy" !

Wholewheat Banana Oat Muffins-
Ingredients-
1 1/2 cup wholewheat flour
1 cup oats
3 medium sized bananas mashed
1/2 cup sugar
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup olive oil (or vegetable oil)
1tbs salted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preparation-

  • Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees C.
  • Combine all the dry ingredients -flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda together.
  • In another bowl beat the egg, stir in milk, oil, butter and vanilla. Add the mashed bananas and combine thoroughly.
  • Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until combined.
  • Grease the muffin trays and pour in the batter.
  • Bake at 160 C for 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
  • Enjoy

21 comments:

  1. nice muffin recipe. I love choco chips in it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did u bake these muffins? Shirl, they look so yummy! Think u can set up a bakery soon... Hahaha! Have a great week, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. They are so lofty...just the way I like muffins. Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking muffins and I love that they're healthier.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites and my Group 'D' entry: Health(ier) Peanut Brittle

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!! what a fabulous recipe and that photo is amazing!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love this recipe, good choice :) You can never go wrong with a banana muffin! glad it turned out good with the all whole wheat flour!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to start substituting out all-purpose flour for whole wheat. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't baked any banana bread or banana muffins in a long time. Maybe I should change that.
    Here's my group D post today if you haven't had a chance to check it out. http://www.koreaforniancooking.com/2012/02/secret-recipe-club-hungarian-paprika.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful click, I do substitue, whole wheat and other flours all the time, as I do lot of baking, I feel guilty to use APS every time, this looks gorgeous, nicely chosen for SRC, Great your kid loved it, healthy way to start a day!, I Love the photo shoot very much, do visit me when you have time.., I am in group B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a filling and yummy breakfast item to have on hand. I think my family would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scrumptious looking muffins, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. these muffins have a nice rise to them. I love that. hate flat muffins

    ReplyDelete
  13. looking really nice and yumm too.book marked........Maha
    nice space vth awesoem recipes.loved it..........

    ReplyDelete
  14. Went to make this, following the directions to the letter and realized you have the oven temp shown as 160 degrees, my oven doesn't even go that low! I tried 170, since that's the lowest it can go, but of course it didn't do anything. Set it to 375 and baked again and it was wonderful. Just thought you might like to correct that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Thank you so much for trying this recipe and getting back. Sorry for the mix-up. You see at this side of the globe we have our ovens set in Centigrade not Fahrenheit. That's why the confusion!

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin