Upma is a classic South Indian breakfast preparation. A great way of including a lot of veggies and a filling dish to give you a headstart for the day. I usually include tomatoes and peas as well, but hubby prefers his upma without them. However I've included them in the recipe for you, though you dont see them in the picture.
1 cup semolina
1tsp mustard seeds
1 green chilli minced
1/2 inch ginger peeled and crushed
1 1/2 cups water
salt to taste
1 onion minced
1/4 cup carrot grated
1 tomato minced
1/4 cup green peas
- Roast the semolina in 1 tsp oil and keep aside.
- Heat oil, crackle mustard seeds.
- Add the minced onions, chilli and ginger and saute.
- Add all the vegetables, cover and cook.
- Add the water and let it boil on medium flame. Add the salt. Taste and check at this point.
- Reduce the flame and drop the roasted semolina slowly stirring all the time, so that lumps do not form.
- Mix all the veggies well and when the semolina is cooked take off the heat.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
- If you like the grated coconut as well, here's what it will look like.
- Serve hot.
You might like